NEW TAX REGULATION ON INCOME EARNED BY SMALL-SCALE BUSINESSES
Reduction of Income Tax rate for Small-Scale Business from 1% to 0.5%
On 8 June 2018, the Government issued a Regulation No. 23 year 2018 (“GR-23/2018”) regarding income tax on income received or earned by taxpayers having gross income up to certain amount. GR-23/2018 revokes the previous GR-46/2013. GR-23/2018 is effective from 1 July 2018.
GR-23/2018 is aiming to encourage the public to participate in formal economic activities by granting facility and justice to taxpayers having income up to a certain amount for a certain period.
The summary of the new regulation is as follows:
- There is no change in the threshold of the category/ definition of “small-scale business”, i.e. a local taxpayer having income up to IDR4,800,000,000 per annum.
- The income tax tariff is reduced from 1% to 0.5%. The type of tax is “final”.
- The new regulation clearly stipulates that the taxpayer (individual or corporate) is allowed to adopt the normal tax regime (non-final tax) by submitting a notification to the Tax Office.
- The new regulation provides clearer categories of income that are not subject to (excluded from) GR23/2018, i.e.:
- Income received by an individual taxpayer from services in respect of free employment e.g. lawyer, accountant, architect, doctor, consultant, notary, appraiser, actuary, singer, broker, etc.
- Income received or earned abroad for which the tax is payable or already paid abroad;
- Income already subject to final tax based on other provisions; and
- Income not subject to tax.
- The new regulation limits the period for application of the 0.5% tax rate as follows:
- 7 years for individual taxpayers;
- 4 years for corporate taxpayers in the form of cooperative, partnership, or firm; and
- 3 years for corporate taxpayer in the form of limited liability company (Perseroan Terbatas).
Hartiadi Budi Santoso – Partner, M: +62 (816) 850 258, E: email@example.com
Ahdianto – Partner, M: +62 (812) 100 4451, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rahadianto Sudewo – Partner, M: +62 (815) 991 0130, E: email@example.com
Charles Oetomo – Partner, M: +62 (816) 786 811, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
IDM Agung Nugraha – Partner, M: +62 (818) 726 010, E: email@example.com
Jeklira Tampubolon – Partner, M: +62 (811) 846 455, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Endy Arya Yoga – Partner, M: +62 (816) 197 1930, E: email@example.com
Benjamin Simatupang – Director, M: +62 (816) 144 2486, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fabian Abi Cakra – Director, M: +62 (813) 103 14103, E: email@example.com
Julius Daryono – Director, M: +62 (818) 083-25781, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aditya Wicaksono – Director, M: +62 (818) 462 644, E: email@example.com
Kitamura – Advisor – Japanese Desk, M: +62 (21) 2988 0681, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Felic Setiawan – Director, M: +62 (821) 151 11228, E: email@example.com
Irma Batubara – Director, M: +62 (818) 0621 2548, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
All information in the tax news or alert has been and is prepared in general terms only. The information is intended as a general guide and shall not be construed as any advice, opinion or recommendation given by GNV Consulting and/or its personnel (collectively “GNV Consulting”). The information is limited by the time available and by the information made available to us. You should not consider the information as being comprehensive, as we may not be aware of all facts or information. Accordingly, GNV Consulting is not in a position to and will not make any representation as to the accuracy, completeness or sufficiency of the information for your purposes.
The application of the content of the information to specific situations will depend on the particular situations involved. Professional advice should be sought before the application of the information to any particular circumstances and the information shall not in any event substitute for such professional advice.
GNVConsulting is a business advisor independent of any accounting firm, free from conflict and independence issues, providing non-attest services for tax, customs and related trade regulatory issues in Indonesia, as well as business advisory. Our tax and customs advisory team comprises individuals with professional certification and licenses as tax and customs consultants and Tax Court attorneys.
GNV Consulting Services, AIA Central, 23rd Floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav. 48A, Jakarta Selatan 12930, Indonesia
T: +62 (21) 2988 0681 F: +62 (21) 2988 0682
© 2018 GNV Consulting Services. All rights reserved.
- Asia Tax Awards 2018 by the International Tax Review: The Winner of Indonesia Tax Disputes & Litigation Firm of the Year
- Recommended Tax Firm in Indonesia by the International Tax Review
- Recommended Transfer Pricing Firm in Indonesia by TP Week